Tuesday, January 03, 2006

A New Year. A New Life.

A few minutes ago, Judy asked me on the phone how I was doing.

I feel the opportunity and the burden of a new year, I replied.

I still have a few things to wrap up from last year: my ongoing digestive issues, mailing the Christmas presents I bought in Ireland to my godchildren, some paperwork. It's also time to wrap up this blog.

I've been waiting for some obvious stopping point - some moment I could point to and say "Now! Now the ordeal is finally over." Every story has a beginning, a middle and an end, so where is the end of this story?

It just doesn't seem to be working out that way. No moment is the full final ending. I've watched my diagnosis anniversary, our trip to Paris, our trip to Ireland, Christmas, and New Year's Eve all come and go without any one of them being "it".

Maybe there isn't a big finish.

Maybe I have to just stop.

Even with that, I'm inclined to conclude with an all-encompassing summary - some pithy observation to mark the transition from the 14 months just passed to the rest of my future life.

But I don't have one of those, either.

I know my life won't be the same, but it wouldn't have been anyway. I can foresee plenty of good things, and I can be anxious about plenty of contingencies and hurt.

So maybe, the best thing is to end with an old cliche. It's a prayer of sorts - a wish, a hope, a strategic plan. It's not very original, but then, novelty is sometimes an over-rated virtue.

So here it is - the big finish:

They all lived happily ever after.

9 Comments:

Blogger vkenny said...

Hi Jimmy,

I could not think of a better ending, many people will not be as blessed as you have been. Enjoy and be thankful for every minute you have with your family and friends, you have fought long and hard to get here.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

You amaze us, Jim Guy.

Love,
Jenn, John, FiFi, and Bob Cat

10:50 PM  
Blogger Kita28 said...

Amen.

Kita

8:23 PM  
Blogger Micah said...

That's an excellent ending, Jim. May it always be true.

4:21 PM  
Blogger JMNJFL said...

Jim,

Sounds like a great one to me...
May life's endings always let some part of you feel that way! Thanks for letting us be along for the ride!

Jamn JFL

10:47 AM  
Blogger Tom Wolf said...

Ten thousand flowers in spring; the moon in autumn;
A cool breeze in summer; snow in winter.
If your mind is not clouded with unnecessary things,
This is the best season of your life.

Wu-Men.

God bless you, Jim Guy.

Love, Tom

3:35 PM  
Blogger MarcT said...

Dear Jim,

I was pretty sure I had the right guy until I got to the part about visiting the chocolate factory in Belgium and the interview by the Belgian media, then I was sure.

You may or may not remember, but I was a classmate of yours from 1972-1976 at BAS in Brussels. You Tim and I were pretty good friends. We went to each other’s birthday parties and homes.

In the last year, I have actually been trying to get back in touch with some of our classmates. I had googled you and Tim about a year ago, but didn’t pick up anything. My father (the computer challenged one) actually found your blog last night and let me know.

If you have a few moments, I would love to hear from you. I read through the blog. It was very well done.

Regards,

Marc D. Torrence
Vice President Import Operations
V. Alexander & Co., Inc.
22 Century Blvd., Suite 510
Nashville, TN 37214
Tel (615) 885 0020 x 414
Fax (615) 885 1465
Email: mtorrence@valexander.com

6:36 PM  
Blogger Bedana said...

This is incredible - you did an emazing job!!! I have coem some advice too about Bryce Resort. Thanks for sharing.....

1:42 PM  
Blogger gastrosurgery. said...

interesting blog. It would be great if you can provide more details about it. Thank you...


Gastroenetrologist West London

5:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home