Tuesday, August 23, 2005

New Eyes

This morning, Judy and I met with Dr. Louis Gelrud. Dr. Gelrud was the gastroenterologist on call one weekend when I was in the hospital. He took me off the hated reglan and seemed extremely intuitive and broadly experienced.

I can't help feeling a little disloyal to Dr. Kumar, who has been very good to me, but I think I need a new set of eyes on my case.

Dr. Gelrud wants to take me off the bentyl and put me back on zelnorm, but at very low doses. I bought a pill splitter this afternoon so I can take 1 mg twice a day. We may have to try different dosages before we hit on the right approach. I'm a little apprehensive about going off the bentyl, as it has given me significant relief.

Dr. Gelrud also wants me to lower my fat intake. I haven't been eating much fat as it is, so we'll have to see how that works out.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Jim,

Chances are, Kumar won't be offended at the idea of a new set of eyes on your case. Heck, in our office, it's commonplace for nurses to check out each other's patients from time to time, to provide fresh perspective and sharing of knowledge base. Any good clinician will be accepting and respectful of the patient choices.

Love,
Jenn

10:14 PM  
Blogger vkenny said...

Hi Jimmy, I agree with Jenn I don't
think Dr. Kumar will be offended.
I am in the printing industry and every order is checked by a minimum of 4 different people before printing to try to eliminate problems before they occur. It would seem that when it comes to medicine there can't be enough checking and re-checking of information to help patients as much as possible. Keep fighting the good fight!
V

2:43 PM  
Blogger UisceBaGirl said...

I hear that Guinness is low in fat...

4:46 PM  
Blogger End Back Pain Now! said...

Love your blog! I plan to bookmark it for future posts. neck and back pain

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home