Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

I've had a busy medical week, and I'm not done yet.

On Monday I had a gastric emptying test. It was much easier than the last one because 1. I wasn't suffering from overwhelming nausea and 2. I didn't have to spend 90 minutes under the machine - just one minute every15 minutes for two hours. The nuclear medicine technician couldn't tell me much about the results.

On Tuesday, I had my 6 week check-up with Dr. Evers. We discussed my digestive issues and my concentration issues. He was interested, and noted that, while bothersome, none of them indicated recurrence of cancer. We scheduled my next CT scan for after Judy and I return from our anniversary trip. He thought getting away would really be the best thing for me. I also told him that, after haranguing him for clearance to exercise, I'd only lifted weights for the first time this past Sunday. At least I recognize and understand the resuming-exercise-after-a-long-hiatus pain.

This morning I met with Dr. Kumar again. He said the gastric emptying test still shows slow emptying. He said that the way my stomach is configured, food tends to settle in the bottom, but the "drain" is at the top. He wants me to meet with my surgeon, Dr. Parker, to get his take on it and what can be done. Dr. Kumar didn't come out and say I'd need more surgery, but he wouldn't rule it out either. He also wants me to check my blood sugar levels during my vaso-vagal events to see if they are hypo-glycemic (low blood sugar). We also scheduled another endoscopy for Friday afternoon.

No meeting with Dr. Lynch this week. I'll see him and Dr. Parker (not at the same time) next Thursday.

I'm torn between being encouraged that the doctors can make some progress toward making me feel better and being terrified that I'll have to go under the knife again.

3 Comments:

Blogger JMNJFL said...

Jim,

I am drawn to post a comment today but I am finding what I want to say does not have any specific words........ Maybe it's enough for now to let you know the other Dr. L. is thinking about you and sending you some thoughtful prayers. "... May the sun shine warm upon your face... Until we meet again!"

2:21 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

We're thinking of you too, Jim!
Love,
Jenn, John and FiFi

5:26 PM  
Blogger ronmojohny said...

How about the Low Glycemic Index diet? It's supposed to be good for bar glycemic low Here they talk about it. bar glycemic low

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home