Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Cleaning up debris

At 6:30 this morning, I checked into St. Mary's for my port-a-cath removal. I was directed to the ambulatory surgery department on the 7th floor. I guess that means you walk in and walk out.

The procedure went fine, and I was walking out by 8:30. The wound is a little tender, but really not too bad. Dr. Parker and the surgical nurses were a jolly crew. The operating room was very cold. The most disturbing part was the odor while Dr. Parker cauterized the wound.

The insertion of the port-a-cath last November marked the beginning of my treatment, so its removal is a significant milestone in the ending of the treatment.

4 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

Here's what Theodore Roethke, poet, has to say:

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I have to go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree; but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.

4:12 PM  
Blogger vkenny said...

Hi JImmy,
WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!! I think that sums it up. Keep fighting the good fight!
V

10:54 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

One more time so loud the heavens can hear:

WE BELIEVE IN JIM!!!
WE DO!!
WE DO!!

We love ya, man!

Love,
Jenn, John, and FiFi

6:13 PM  
Blogger Tom Wolf said...

I came to my office today to get some work done and thought I'd check out Jim's blog for just a minute. Only to be hit by "The Waking." That could keep me occupied for the rest of the day. You are one cool chick, Judy. No wonder you guys are married.

Saw a movie that made me think of you, Jim. It's called "Fierce Grace," and is a documentary about Ram Dass f/k/a Richard Alpert. He was a leading activist and spiritual teacher for many years, then, as he puts it, was stroked. Radically changed his life, but it's still his life and very rich and good.

The celebratory mass and revelry was outstanding. Thanks for being you.

Love, Tom

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home