Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Shelter

Today is the Feast of St. Thomas More, patron of lawyers.

My son, Seamus, and I went to Mass at St. Paul's this morning to celebrate the feast with the Richmond St. Thomas More Society. Our old friend, Bishop Sullivan presided.

I've been coming into the office every day, and even doing some work. Yesterday I attended a firm meeting, a bar association meeting, and a meeting with a client and and some state regulatory staff. These moments that remind me of my prior life are especially rejuvenating, and are slowly increasing in frequency. I'm grateful for the confidence of my partners, colleagues and clients.

I have two major challenges that I'm still struggling with. First is physical healing. I'm still trying to lick the gastro-intestinal discomfort, and to rebuild my strength and stamina. The medicine Dr. Kumar gave me a couple weeks ago is helping with the former. I need to talk with him about increasing the dosage. The latter is just going to take more time.

The second major challenge is reclaiming my life. I think the major obstacle is my own fear. Last week Dr. Lynch challenged me to think about whether I really lost aspects of my self, or if I hid them away to protect them.

I think he may be on to something. Judy and I have been examining a metaphor of a storm shelter. She feels that the storm is over, she's climbed out of the shelter and is looking at the fallen trees and other damage. There's a lot to clean up, but the house is still standing.

I'm afraid the storm might not be over, and that we'd better not stray to far from the shelter, just in case.

I have a CT scan on Monday, and we meet with Dr. Evers on Tuesday. I'm hopeful that there'll be no new cancer, and that with some positive reassurance, I'll be able to leave the storm shelter behind.

In spite of my persistent fears, we're planning our victory celebration for July. Our pastor, Fr. George, will celebrate a Mass of thanksgiving at the house. Afterward we'll have a big party, with live music, a moon bounce and a giant cake.

Tonight, my tv interview airs on Richmond's channel 12. It should be on the news at 5 or 5:30.

5 Comments:

Blogger Drew said...

I gotta wonder whether licking gastro-intestinal discomfort is even a good thing. Nonetheless, fight the good fight.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Kita28 said...

Jim -

I'm sorry to miss the big TV moment - maybe you can tape it for us out-of-towners? I'll keep checking the channel 12 website to see if it's there.

Love,

Kita

4:41 PM  
Blogger T.K. Hughes said...

Jim, I've been thinking recently how "bad" things happen to "good" people. I saw the article in the Richmond Times Dispatch and signed up on this blog site (I'm learning about all of this computer stuff) so that I could send you a message. Unfortunately I missed your TV interview. Maybe I'll have a chance to see it another time. I'm thinking of you, and praying for you too. Hang in there-
T.K.

5:39 PM  
Blogger vkenny said...

Hi Jimmy, We are very happy to hear you are busy reclaiming your life. Keep fighting the good fight!
V

8:03 AM  
Blogger UisceBaGirl said...

I had a lot of fears and concerns last November when I found out about your diagnosis. I know there are yet miles to go in this journey back to Normal but I'm delighted to hear that you are back at work and progressing in so many other ways. The show at the pub this past Thursday was just beautiful. "Four Green Fields" was indeed music to my ears.

I have faith that time will bring much more progress and healing. I'm sure it isn't easy.

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home