Monday, June 06, 2005

A doctor a day keeps the apples away.

This morning Judy and I met with my oncologist, Dr. Evers. I had been saving up all the twinges and pings I've noticed over the past 4 weeks since our last appoinment. At the top of the list was the wheezing I often experience first thing in the morning and that I was terrified could be cancer in my lungs. Dr. Evers did not seem to think that was a likelihood, noting instead that "You're stomach's in your chest - what do you expect?" This was essentially the same thing Judy had said earlier this morning.

Dr. Evers said I could resume exercising with free weights, but he is reluctant for me to undertake any aerobic exercise because of the likelihood that it will accelerate my weight loss - currently about 1 lb/week.

We scheduled a CT scan for June 27 and another appointment with Evers on the 28th. This will be my first periodic/quarterly CT scan to monitor for new cancer growth. These will go on for two years, at least. There are only two difficulties with the CT scans. First is the anxiety about them finding something. The second is swallowing a quart of Barium. This is especially challenging since I can't seem to drink cold beverages. The stuff tastes bad enough cold - I can hardly wait to taste it lukewarm.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with my surgeon, Dr. Parker. I expect we'll discuss removing my non-functional port-a-cath, perhaps in early July.

On Wednesday I meet with Dr. Kumar, my gastroenterologist. Dr. Evers wants me to discuss resuming my Nexium with Dr. Kumar, and also my post-prandial (after eating) cough.

On Thursday I meet with my psychologist. No medical appoinments on Friday!!

4 Comments:

Blogger UisceBaGirl said...

Jim,

Barium - the nastiest stuff I've ever had to drink. Maybe when you see your psychologist you can ask about hypnosis to make the stuff more palatable?

It was terrific to hear you and Dan sing "Danny Boy" - I know I haven't heard it in 6 months, and I was delighted to hear it this past Thursday.

Keep healing!

6:42 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Guinness Barium!

9:50 PM  
Blogger Bud Wiser said...

This is a wonderful site about quick weight loss, of course I have a similar page quick weight loss

6:15 AM  
Blogger dark_one said...

My name is John Diamond and i would like to show you my personal experience with Nexium.

I am 58 years old. I have bee taking Nexium on and off for 2 years. For the last 3 months I have been taking 1-40mg daily. I have been cycling for 10 years riding avg. of 150 miles a week. I noticed this year I had no energy. Was riding 4 to 5 times a week and could hardly go. A fellow rider told me last week about the vitimin B absorbtion problem and other side effects he had from Nexium. I quit the Nexium last week and I could really tell the differance in my energy level. I was riding regularly and watching what I ate but could not see a weight loss. Now I see that others are having the same problems. I had never had the itchy rectum problem in my life untill a couple of months ago, when I started back on the Nexium on a regular basis.

I have experienced some of these side effects-
Fatigue, weight gain, itchy rectum

I hope this information will be useful to others,
John Diamond

Nexium Side Effects

2:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home