Friday, May 20, 2005

A week without chemo is like a day without taking a beating.

My progress has become a bit more perceptible this week. While eating and digestion is still a challenge, and while discomfort is persistent, I can tell I'm doing better.

On Tuesday, I met some people for lunch at a restaurant for the first time since my surgery. I had spaghetti with meat sauce without creating any spectacle.

Yesterday evening, I joined the band for the second half of the first set again. I had a great time and felt very well while I was on-stage. Next week I hope to play the whole first set. Also, my friend with the brain hemorrhage was released from the hospital yesterday and is doing great.

Today, Judy and I went to World Market and Target to get "gear" for integrating my weird diet into work. We got a toaster, electric kettle and thermal carafe, as well as a cabinet to keep them and a food supply in my office. I want to make the frequent eating as non-disruptive as I can.

Tea has become incredibly important to me. Without any scientific or medical basis, I've come to believe that the hot decaffeinated tea I drink after each "meal" is what's keeping my digestive system going. It's also my main source of fluids, for now at least.

I'm looking forward to adding Guinness back to my regimen. Maybe I'll try one next week or the week after.

I'm so grateful not to have had chemo this week.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

It's so true!!!

Decaf tea has many many benefits. The heat and nutrients are most likely stimulating the peristalsis (the contractions of the stomach and intestine that move food thru the digestive system) and soothing the tummy at the same time. Also, a lot of teas have ginger in them, which has long been attributed to helping upset tums. It's a great source of hydration, and it's soothing and comforting. Drink up!

Love,
Jenn

5:17 PM  
Blogger UisceBaGirl said...

This makes me feel that I should have been more grateful all along not to have had chemo this week -- or any other week. I'll work that into my prayers.

I think both tea and Guinness have a place in a balanced diet (given a reasonably healthy digestive system).

Continue to mend...

11:17 PM  
Blogger vkenny said...

Hi Jimmy, I must also give the hot cup of tea it's due, it really is amazing the immediate relief it brings in many medical situations, relaxation being just one of those benefits. I'm also happy to hear the preparations being made for your return to work, making a smooth transition can make all the difference. We are waiting for more and more good news as your recovery progresses. Keep fighting the good fight!
V

8:21 AM  
Blogger vkenny said...

Hi Jimmy, I must also give the hot cup of tea it's due, it really is amazing the immediate relief it brings in many medical situations, relaxation being just one of those benefits. I'm also happy to hear the preparations being made for your return to work, making a smooth transition can make all the difference. We are waiting for more and more good news as your recovery progresses. Keep fighting the good fight!
V

8:21 AM  
Blogger Tom Wolf said...

What a gorgeous weekend. I called several times and got the machine, so you must have been out enjoying it. Praise for the healing sun and caressing breezes of this gentle spring. Patience, hope and steady progress to you, beautiful Jim Guy.

Love, Tom

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home