Wednesday, May 25, 2005

One step. One step. One step. One step.

The past few days have been fairly eventful.

Over the weekend, each of the three kids had a music recital or concert. I played with Seamus at his recital, and enjoyed hearing Callaghan and Mairead perform. We also went to a potluck, end of season party for Seamus' soccer team. Judy brought a dish we knew I could eat, and we had a nice time with the other team parents.

On Monday, I had my blood levels checked. They were good and I did not need a procrit shot. Then, Judy and I went to a men's store and I bought 2 suits, a shirt, a belt, a tie and some socks. I don't really need new socks, but they're a good match for one of the suits. Buying some work clothes is an important step towards going back to work, as none of my old clothes fit at all.

Yesterday, I was interviewed by the local NBC affiliate about my battle with cancer. My oncologist, radiation oncologist, surgeon and gastroenterologist were all there as well. Also the director of the cancer ward at St. Mary's Hospital participated. The news crew talked about coming out to the pub for some action shots as well. It is supposed to air June 22.

Last night I tried my first Guinness since before my February 21 surgery. It didn't taste right and it did not process right either. I'm pretty disappointed. I'd been looking forward to it.

Today, I met with my psychologist in the morning. Later, I went to my office to try to organize my return. I started in on the 5000!!! e-mails I have backed up.

I continue to entertain a seemingly endless variety of twinges, jabs and tingles. It's hard to distinguish what is cause for concern and what should just be ignored. I'm trying to ignore as much as I can.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Great to hear that it's the good kind of eventful. Not the bad kind!

Yay!

6:15 PM  
Blogger vkenny said...

Hi Jimmy, There is something about new socks and underwear that just makes you feel good. We would love to see the interview, but I know we will not get it in NJ. We are so happy to hear you are out and about(even though the Guiness didn't go down very well) just getting back to your life must be very exciting. Keep up the great progress and keep fighting the good fight!
V
V

8:05 AM  
Blogger Micah said...

Sounds like things are heading back down the right path! Sorry to hear about the Guinness, but clearly that one was defective; this means you still have the first real Guinness to look forward to.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Tom Wolf said...

You must look very dapper in your new clothes. I have just the thing to top off a new suit: a tango hat. Carol bought it for me recently and, believe me, it falls into the category of things you would never buy for yourself. But I know it would look great on you. And with that "one step; one step; one step; one step" you're half way through the tango already. Keep dancing.

Love, Tom

5:35 PM  
Blogger UisceBaGirl said...

It's almost like 'back to school' time when we were kids - except for the part about the Guinness.

I agree with Micah, maybe try again to ensure it wasn't just a bad batch.

:)

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home