Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Milestones

As my pace of recovery continues at a crawl, I'm trying to push myself a bit. I realize I can't wait until I feel completely well to begin to recover my life. For one thing, some of my persisting issues may persist forever. For the others, resolution, if it comes at all, will take a long, long time.

Last Thursday I played a full set with the band. I had a stool on stage that I rested on while others were singing, but I think I did ok. I was certainly glad to be there. Channel 12 sent a cameraman to get footage for the interview. I understand it will air on June 22.

Yesterday, Memorial Day, we travelled to Falls Church to be with Judy's family and my brother's family for the annual parade. This was the first time I left town since my surgery, so it represented a significant milestone. I was anxious, but the day went fine and it was great to see everybody.

Tomorrow is my official back to work day, but I'm in the office today, as I was three days last week. I expect it will take me a while to ramp back up to a full workload, but I'm eager to reclaim this part of my prior life.

My great uncle, Lawrence Finer, passed away last night. He was a great man and the closest thing I had to a grandfather in my life. He wrote to me during my treatment to tell me that he'd had most of his stomach surgically removed when he was forty years old. He lived a full, strong life, well into his nineties. I miss him immensely already.

I don't know whether I'll be up to the trip to New Jersey for his funeral.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Jim,

Please accept our condolences on the passing of your great uncle.

Sincerely,
John, Jenn, and FiFi.

6:57 PM  
Blogger vkenny said...

Hi Jimmy, Uncle Lawrence & Aunt Aileen were both wonderful people and had a great life together. They will be missed by the entire family. I think they touched so many of us, each of us in our own way. I think I will miss their humor most of all. I am pleased to hear you were able to travel for the holiday, little by little you are getting your life back so please dont rush. Keep fighting the good fight!
V

8:23 AM  
Blogger Suzy Secretary said...

June 1, 2005 - Jim Guy is officially BACK to work! What an awesome sight it is to see 1) your office door wide open, 2) lights on, and 3) YOU donning your spiffy new clothes in your chair in front of your computer

Thank you, thank you, thank you EVERYONE for your prayers for Jim Guy and his family. It is a blessing to have our Jim (lawyer/counselor extraordinaire) back with us at the office.

I am so grateful. Life is good! Welcome back, Jim.

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home