Monday, May 09, 2005

Glacial Progress

My fearfulness is subsiding somewhat as I'm coming to terms with my circumstances.

I had a mostly good meeting with Dr. Evers this morning. He reassured me about some of my fears about making a mistake with the gastroparesis. If I overeat, I might throw-up, but I won't be rehospitalized. What put me in the hospital the last time was the chemo. Since that's done, I should continue to make progress.

On the less encouraging side, that progress is likely to be very slow. I asked Dr. Evers when I'd feel better, and when I'd feel myself again.

He said full recovery takes about as long as the full treatment did. That's SIX MONTHS!!! He did say that I'd feel substantially better in two or three months, but even that seems impossibly long.

I can't wait that long to go back to work. I just can't. On the other hand, there's no use going back the way I feel right now. This will be a tough one to call.

In other good news, my bone marrow seems to be doing a reasonably good job producing red blood cells, so I didn't need a procrit shot today.

I've been reading through some of the blog posts Judy made after my surgery. It is amazing to me how much I can't remember about that time. It's also amazing to me how strong Judy has been and is.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Jim,

Judy IS amazing.

She saved your life. (Of course, you knew that already. :D)

You are a lucky, lucky man. :) (Of course, you knew that already too!)

I BELIEVE IN JIM AND JUDY. I DO!

Love,
Jenn

3:34 PM  
Blogger vkenny said...

Hi Jimmy, Next to every great man is an equally great woman and Judy has proven that time & time again. I know what it is to care for someone with cancer and going through the totures of chemo, she did remarkably well and so did you.
Together is how we make it through
everything in this life(if we're lucky). Keep fighting the good fight together!
V

4:03 PM  
Blogger UisceBaGirl said...

I see this is a tough time but also some good news: the statement that the gasteoparesis will not by itself cause re-hospitalization, no more chemo, and the red blood cell production is kicking back in.

I'll keep praying from here but your family is a living prayer surrounding you.

Pamela

9:08 PM  
Blogger marian said...

I've also been amazed at Judy's strength. Not that any of us ever thought her a weakling, but her balance of being matter-of-fact and completely there emotionally, and maintain her poise and grace through it all, is incredible. You've both been incredible. *hugs*

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home