Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Working the plan

We are currently in phase 2 of the gastroparesis diet plan. Phase one was boullion, gatorade and saltines. In phase 2, yesterday, I had a soft-boiled egg, apple sauce, lowfat mozzerella cheese, acorn squash, tomato soup, spaghetti with tomato sauce, and a couple of caramels - all in very small portions in 5 or six "meals" throughout the day. Also, lots of gatorade and some saltines.

The diet is working well. I'm getting some nutrition and the nausea has not returned. Eating is becoming a full-time job, though. Plus, after every meal, I feel I need to get up and walk around to help gravity compensate for the gastroparesis.

Judy and I are going to go out to Target for a short outing today. It's odd to be apprehensive, but I think it should go fine and that I'll gain confidence from the trip.

I rode my stationary bike for 5 minutes today at an easy pace. Tomorrow I'll try 7 minutes.

5 Comments:

Blogger vkenny said...

Hi Jimmy, I agree with Judy no pain and no nausea = feeling good.
I also know the slow pace of recovery can be really annoying, to say the least, but try to take your time and do it right. Keep working the plan and fighting the good fight!
V

3:10 PM  
Blogger Tom Wolf said...

Rough sledding, but at least things seem to be going in the right direction. Keep up the good fight. We are with you all the way.

Love, Tom

3:10 PM  
Blogger UisceBaGirl said...

I kept re-reading the list to notice that there was no mention of Guinness. I can only imagine that doctors have yet to discover its healing powers.

Still, perhaps you have to work up to Guinness from boullion.

Continue to mend.

12:21 AM  
Blogger Kita28 said...

Dear Jim,

I know that all of these symptoms and weaknesses are annoying. But it really is a step up to be able to worry about annoying symptoms versus cancerous tumors, surgical pain and debilitating nausea. You really are making good progress.

I'm so glad you're getting some exercise! In my long treatise on depression to which I subjected your blog readers, I forgot to talk about the positive benefits of exercise. Now I'm about as sedentary a person as they come, and yet even I know that if I am fighting depression, I have to MOVE or I won't feel better.

As Kris Kringle said to the Winter Warlock, "Put one foot in front of the other, and soon you'll be walking out the door!" (Now see if you can get THAT song out of your head!) You don't need to be able to see the finish line in order to get closer to your goal, you just need to keep moving in the right direction.

All my love,

Kita

1:09 PM  
Blogger V.Kelly said...

Jim: at first reading I thought your caption read "working the PAIN." I see that it read PLAN. It got me to thinking how sometimes a second look makes thing much clearer. I am certain, when you are able, you will look back at this period in your life and gain a differnt prospective. I cintinue to keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Keep up the good fight and I hope to see you soon. Kelly

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home