Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Inch by Inch

One of my friends suggested to me yesterday that I might not be complaining enough to my doctors.

Judy was horrified by that sentence before she heard the last three words.

Anyway, I called Dr. Parker this morning and told him about my persistent bugginess. He consented to cut the dosage of Reglan in half, and thinks that should do the trick.

I also asked him how I would know when the gastroparesis is better. He did not have as easy an answer, and said it would just take time experimenting with the medicine.

Finally, he agreed that a glass of wine in the evening would be ok. He said it is a good appetite stimulant and an excellent source of calories.

Next time I'll ask about Guinness.

5 Comments:

Blogger marian said...

Heya Jim,

I've been reading Gilda Radner's book, It's Always Something, and she went through a lot of the trials you have, particularly the emotional setbacks. She found a great source of support and regained her optimism through the Wellness Community. We don't have any of those really close to here, but being the extrovert you are, I think if you could find a support group of people fighting the same battle, it could be just one more weapon in your arsenal.

7:07 PM  
Blogger UisceBaGirl said...

I think they used to call Guinness "a sandwich in a glass" and I'm thinking it might inchworm through your tummy more quickly than a sandwich.

Plus I happen to know you like Guinness.

Good for you for questioning and getting your meds modified. I hope this helps.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Kita28 said...

Jim -

I've noticed how faithfully you've been blogging this week - thank you so much! I think that's a good sign... and it keeps you connected with the virtual community you've created.

Thanks for keeping us posted so well and keep up the good work!

Kita

8:07 AM  
Blogger vkenny said...

Hi Jimmy, The glass of wine is one step closer to the elusive Guinness. I'm glad you spoke to your doctor about the side effects of the new meds it really is the only way to get the dosage right. We know the high peaks & low valleys this fight for life can cause, just try to stay focused, one day at a time is the
way we deal with Eds' illness.
Keep fighting the good fight!
V

8:56 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Bonsoir Jim!

The French call wine "liquid food." Hey, it has calories and nutrients- and plus it can make you feel extra special! Cheers, mon ami!

Love,
Jenn, John, FiFi

P.S. My favorite patients are the ones who "complain"- they make their needs known, tell me what they're feeling, and it's that much easier to find a remedy for what ails them. Complain all the time to them. They'll never take it personally!

Love,
Jenn

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home