Thursday, April 28, 2005

Bone Pain returns with a Vengeance

Yesterday was the six month anniversary of my diagnosis. I never considerered this would go on so long.

Around 4:30 this morning I woke up with intense bone pain at base of my back. Within 20 minutes it had spread throughout my entire body, wracking me with the most intense pain I have ever experienced. I actually lay in my bed moaning at the top of my lungs, mortified at the noise and unable to stop.

The pain was caused by the neupagen blood boosters I'd been taking to get my blood back to full strength. Because of my gastroparesis and related issues, I could not take any narcotics for the pain. Tylenol was useless.

Finally, the nurses tracked down Dr. Evers' on-call partner who prescribed a non - narcotic IV muscle relaxer that provided some quick relief. Around here, pain is graded 1-10. I was at 9+ throughout my body. I'm now at about 3, mostly in my knees and lower back.

The best news is - no more Nupagen. Dr. Ever's says it is administered for 10 days or until the bone pain kicks in. So I guess I got lucky, hunh?

3 Comments:

Blogger vkenny said...

Hi Jimmy, I'm so sorry for all of this suffering, isn't it amazing that after all you've been through
the only way the doctors can tell if the meds are working is if you are in excrusiating pain. I hope this will end soon and normal life will return. We will continue the prayers. Keep fighting the good fight(even if you are getting the crap beat out of you I know there are a few good punches left in you)

V

1:15 PM  
Blogger jtucker3 said...

Gee, Jim, it seems like you're living that Albert King song.

"If it wasn't for real bad luck
I wouldn't have no luck at all."

It seems simplistic and rather stupid at this point to keep saying "hang in there." But please know that there are a lot of people out here who continue to think of you and pray for you.

--John

3:48 PM  
Blogger End Back Pain Now! said...

Love your blog! I plan to bookmark it for future posts. upper right back pain

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home