Sunday, March 20, 2005

St. Patrick's Week into Palm Sunday

I'm not sure why I haven't written more this past week. It could be that I'm feeling a little depressed, possibly due to the pain killers and my frustration at the slow pace of recovery.

It's not because there's nothing going on. It has been an eventful week.

On Tuesday I had the sutures taken out of my face. Aside from a modest, character-enhancing scar, the forehead looks pretty good.

I became increasingly moody as St. Patrick's Day approached. I had set SPD as my target date to be "better." As it became clear that I would still be far from well, I felt pretty unhappy about my inability to celebrate the holiday in my usual manner - playing music in pubs.

In the event, the day was really great, if not what I had originally planned. A good friend picked me up early Thursday morning to take me to Mass at St. Patrick's Church. Then in the afternoon, another friend took me out to Rare Olde Times Pub so I could see Suas (a band visiting from Ireland) and Uisce Beatha play their afternoon sets. My parents came into town to celebrate with the kids and me while Judy was out playing the night show with the band.

I managed to eat a little shepherd's pie, and after dinner, Mom & Dad and the kids and I took turns playing (mostly) Irish songs. I especially enjoyed Dad's renditions of Believe Me if All those Endearing Young Charms and Danny Boy on the harmonica. All in all, it was a good day.

Friday was even better for two reasons. First, Dr. Parker took out my feeding tube. Second, and better, he gave me some medicine to alleviate my nausea and to make it easier to eat. I'd been having a very hard time eating, and the medicine has hugely improved my ability to eat. I've eaten better on Saturday and Sunday than any time since I left the hospital. I also cut my daytime pain medication in half.

When I met with Dr. Evers last Monday, he suggested it was time for me to start pushing a bit. He probably didn't mean for me to push quite as hard as I did on Saturday. I began the day by riding with the Grand Marshall in the Richmond St. Patrick's Day Parade. In the afternoon, I was on stage playing whistle, singing back-up, and exhorting the crowd. The evening I mostly spent clutching my ribs and regretting the exhortation. Still, I don't completely regret it. It hurt like hell, but I was glad to be there.

This morning I resumed my full pain killer dosage, but I also went to Mass and have been eating pretty well. This afternoon I mostly napped.

This week is Holy Week, a good time for resurrection. I've only got two weeks to get well enough to start chemo, so I'm looking for more miracles.

I'll also try to write more.

3 Comments:

Blogger V.Kelly said...

Jim: We continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers. I had my Irish CD out on St. Pat's Day and told my son we were listening in your honor. I look forward to hearing more about your healing. All the best this Easter Season. Kelly M

4:49 PM  
Blogger Kita28 said...

Dear Jim,

Wow, I'm so impressed that you were able to sing, play whistle, AND exhort! (Even if it did hurt like the dickens afterwards) You must be making more progress than you can see.

You and Judy are always on my mind and in my heart at Easter time. This Holy Week you will have an even more central place in my prayers.

All my love,

Kita

8:10 AM  
Blogger vkenny said...

Hi Jimmy, Progess however slow is still progress. Recovery is not a race it's more of a slow walk to get your balance right again, I know you want to be back into the action but try to take it easy. Ed & I will continue to pray for miracles to continue to flow your way. God is good all the time. Keep fighting the good fight!!
V

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home