Monday, February 14, 2005

Last whole week being whole.

Today is the feast of St. Valentine, whose mortal remains repose in a church in Dublin, Ireland. One week from today is my surgery.

I'm trying to keep busy during my last week with a full esophagus, in large measure to keep from spending any more time than I have to thinking about the surgery and, more daunting, the subsequent recovery. Time in the office, dinner out with friends, the circus with the kids, daily mass, an American Youth Harp Ensemble concert, home repair and maintenance, exercise, and my last appearance on stage at the pub for a while - these all feature into my plans for this week.

I've also got a couple of medical appointments. The second is pre-surgical labwork on Wednesday. The first is an unrelated (I hope!) baseline check-up with a dermatologist on Tuesday. I set up the dermatologist appointment last September when I was having my turning-forty physicals. As a blue-eyed, fair skinned, frequently sunburned boy of Irish descent, I had thought skin cancer was my greatest risk. I couldn't really think of a good reason to cancel it now. If it's all good news, well, I can certainly use the good news. If they have any concerns, we might as well take care of them now.

Because he doesn't have school on Friday, my ten year old son, Seamus, will play fiddle with us at the pub this Thursday. We're both really looking forward to it.

7 Comments:

Blogger Tom Wolf said...

Dale and I will look forward to seeing you and Seamus at the pub on Thursday night. Hope you and Judy have a wonderful Valentine's Day, one that you will both look back on 40 years from now with fond memories of how this terrifying ordeal brought you closer together and helped you to appreciate the miracles of life, the little ones as well as the big.

Love, Tom

12:18 PM  
Blogger vkenny said...

Hi Jimmy, You are more than the sum of your parts, try not to concentrate on what you may lose and think alot about what you have gained from this experience. It sounds like you have a full week planned so go and enjoy. Keep fighting the good fight!
V

2:12 PM  
Blogger V.Kelly said...

JIM:

I recently read this Irish prayer and thought of you:

Take time to work, it is the price of success.
Take time to think, it is the source of power.
Take time to play, it is the secret of perpetual youth.
Take time to read, it is the foundation of wisdom.
Take time to be friendly, it is the road to happiness.
Take time to love and be loved, it is a privilege of the Gods.
Take time to share, life is too short to be selfish.
Take time to laugh, laughter is the music of the soul.

In Philadelphia, we will put our ears closer to the wind on Friday to hear you and your son's music. Enjoy this special time.

3:47 PM  
Blogger JMNJFL said...

Jim,

Happy Valentines Day to you and yours. How exciting to have Seamus playing with you and the Band on Thursday. This has to be a real thrill for both of you. I got am image of the two of you playing up on that stage and couldn't help and think how great it would be to have your son playing music with you... and doing it incredibly well! I know you will enjoy that time. My best to Judy and the kids... and as usual you are always in my thoughts and prayers...

Jmnjfl

4:00 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Hi Jim!

Can't wait to see the both of you on Thursday night! Here's wishing from our family to your family a happy St. Valentine's Feast Day!

Love,
Jenn John And FiFi

9:32 PM  
Blogger UisceBaGirl said...

Jim,

I'm excited to look forward to hearing you and Seamus this week playing with UB. Some other readers of your blog have already contacted me hoping to travel down to join me for this performance. It's not just the performance, it's a gesture of support for you and your family - but hey, great entertainment is always worth coming out for (and that's why I'm there almost every week).

Stay well and we will see you on Thursday!

Pamela

11:31 AM  
Blogger UisceBaGirl said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home