Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Are we there yet?

Everyone tells me that the day after surgery is the worst day. It seemed pretty difficult to me. It took till about noon to get Jim's pain medication organized to everyone's satisfaction, but this evening when I saw him, he was dozing under the influence. I would guess he's moderately uncomfortable and a little anxious, but he's pretty fuzzy from the morphine, so he's not disclosing much. He did make a little joke with the surgeon, though, so he's in there.

Both the oncologist and surgeon, whom I saw this morning, were pleased with how our boy was doing. "So far so good, right?" I asked Dr. Evers. "So far so good," he said. ICU time is estimated at a day or two, followed by some time in the step down unit (ICU-lite), and then to a regular room on the surgery floor. Total stay is estimated (and everyone is pretty clear that these are estimates) at about 10-14 days. They say they'll let him try to swallow in about a week. I say, Yeesh.

How would Jim end this post? Let's try this: Blessed be God in the dark and in the light.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tom Wolf said...

I know you have a long road ahead, but this is wonderful news! You're on the right road and it looks pretty clear, albeit not easy at all. But bless you all, and thanks be to God.

Love,
Tom

8:35 PM  
Blogger Kita28 said...

My dear sweet Judy,

Thank you so much for posting to keep everyone informed while Jim is unable. I know that you must be exhausted, both physicially and emotionally.

This is a rough time, but at least it has a foreseeable end. And maybe it's like labor - maybe neither you nor Jim will eventually remember exactly how hard it was! Of course, Jim has the advantage in that respect because of the drugs...:)

I love you more than I can say and am sending tons of love and prayers your way,

Kita

8:17 AM  
Blogger vkenny said...

Hi Guys, I think this is the best news in fact this is exactly what we have all been praying for. Please make sure you get alot of rest although the surgery is done your life will not be back to normal for a while, so take care of yourself too. Thank you for keeping us all posted I know how tired you are. Keep fighting the good fight!

V

8:57 AM  
Blogger UisceBaGirl said...

I'm up for a long series of 'good news' and actually would subscribe to the premium channel of 'great news' about Jim Guy.

Thanks, Judy, for keeping us posted!

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home