Friday, January 07, 2005

Chemo 3.3

No flush this morning, but I'm feeling pretty battered.

I took some darvocet this evening to beat back the encroaching joint pain, and am thinking seriously of taking an antianxiety pill for the first time in my life, to quell my rising impatience and to help me sleep.

I remain grateful and amazed at the generosity and strength of our many friends, whose faith and kindness is sustaining me and all my family. I can't imagine how bleak this experience would be without that support.

Remaining in this round:
  1. 5FU through about 5 pm tomorrow, then a break until 7:00 am Monday morning.
  2. Four more doses of radiation on Monday morning and afternoon, and Tuesday morning and afternoon.
  3. Two more doses of Cisplatin, one each on Monday and Tuesday.
  4. 100ml more of 5FU (about 50 hours) finishing on Wednesday afternoon.
  5. Blood work, and possibly blood cell booster shots late Wednesday afternoon.

Then it's just wait and percolate until my CT scan on January 31 and surgery at some indefinite time after that.

My life goes on in endless song,

Above earth's lamentation.

I hear the real though far off hymn

That hails the new creation.

No storm can shake my inmost calm

While to that rock I'm clinging.

If love is lord of heaven and earth,

How can I keep from singing?

8 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

Glad to hear that one less thing (the mystery flush) is making you uncomfortable.

I've started your hat. It should be finished before the end of your weekend break. Hang in there, Jim. We all believe in you.

2:37 AM  
Blogger Karen Davis said...

You're in the thick of the battle and you're doing great. Hang in there and remain strong. I KNOW YOU CAN DO THIS. Love and prayers - Karen

9:06 AM  
Blogger Tom Wolf said...

"How Can I Keep from Singing" is one of my favorite songs. I want you to sing it at my funeral when you're an old man. We're with you. Love, Tom

11:39 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Darling Jim,

Just keep singing!

Can't wait to see you again!
Love,
Jenn

1:47 PM  
Blogger Kita28 said...

Through all the tumult and the strife
I hear its music ringing
It sounds an echo in my soul
How can I keep from singing?

I'll keep singing if you will.

All my love,

Kita

7:51 PM  
Blogger vkenny said...

Hi Jimmy, I know this has been a long road with many twists & turns, all I can say is stay strong and focused, we will keep praying until you are completely
healed and back to where you should be physically & mentally. Keep fighting the good fight!
V

10:36 AM  
Blogger susie said...

Jim,

Porter was chirstened Sunday. It was a beautiful day; spirit and friends filled us. And, I , of course, cried for the gift we are given as parents and guides to these lovelies who share life with us. I was touched with gratitude and grace for His love, and during Porter's baptism I prayed for you. Your journey began with his entry into the world. My labor started on the same day yours did. His life will be eternally linked with the beauty and grace you live every day.

Will and I have consciously prayed for you -- which for him is an act of God. My boys are praying for you, Seamus, the girls and Judy. We stand in awe of the love you all are and that emanates from all of you.

We are part of your Episcopal contingency and this is the first stanza of my school hymn:

Oh God our help in ages past
Our Hope for years to come
Our Shelter from the stormy blast
And our eternal home

In high school I sang this hymn almost weekly. It creeped into my soul and at weak moments offered my some comfort. May it offer you a moment.

And yes, a book is in order.

Cheers to diminishing chemical cocktails in high hopes of better brews!

8:58 PM  
Blogger UisceBaGirl said...

With a resounding 'amen' to Jim's blog and the comments posted in response.

Pamela

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home