Thursday, December 30, 2004

Status report

I have to acknowledge that the raditation is starting to wear me down a bit. My fatigue is increasing, and I can feel my esophagas rattling around if I move too quickly, especially going upstairs or standing up. More lightheadedness, too.

On the other hand, I'm not actually in pain, which is a nice surprise. Also, it is evidently pretty late in the treatment course for me to be just starting to experience these effects - I only have seven more days of radiation to go, five next week and two the week after.

I met with Dr. Rowles (infectious diseases). I felt a little sheepish about telling him I've been off the antibiotics he prescribed since my second day of chemo. It was actually Dr. Evers who took me off them, and Dr. Rowles was not at all put out. He was pleased that I'd not had any fever in the interim, and seemed content with my progress. We also talked about the remainder of my chemo and radiation treatment and was interested in the surgery. He had nice and reassuring things to say about my surgeon, George Parker.

Dr. Rowles wants to know when my surgery is scheduled (me too!) and to hear from me if I have any new fever or other issues. We decided not to schedule a follow-up appointment for now. He also said he was "impressed" with my attitude and especially that I played with the band last week.

I'd like to play with the band again tonight, but I'll have to feel better than I have the past couple evenings to pull it off. There's also an important law firm event this evening that I'd like to attend, but, again, it will depend on how I feel.

Some of the musicians in Judy's family are coming to the house this afternoon. Judy's family always gathers for music sessions at the holidays at her parents house. This is one of my favorite traditions, so Judy asked her brother and uncle to bring the session to us. What great in-laws!

I'll try to get some rest this morning, so I can enjoy the afternoon and have a shot at the evening.

4 Comments:

Blogger John said...

It's great to hear that your still feeling well and that you can see an end to the radiation. I really do hope you fell well enough to make it to the pub again tonight. It's good to seeing you out and about. If not Jenn, Fifi and I send our thoughts and prayers.

John Y.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Tom Wolf said...

All in all a good report. Hope to see you soon, but don't overdo.

Bonne année et meilleurs voeux.

Love, Tom

1:35 PM  
Blogger vkenny said...

Hi Jimmy, I know the fatigue can be difficult to say the least but you have been very strong through this long process and it will pay off. I hope you are able to make it to at least one of the events your wrote about and have some fun, but if need be stay home and rest up. Sometimes the burst of energy you feel is short lived and you tend to feel more tired if you push yourself. Happy New Year! Peace & Good Health to you, Judy & the kids in 2005.
V

4:09 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Way to go Jim, you're almost there, and you're doing really spendidly!

Just take it slow and easy. It wins the race!

Love,
Jenn

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home