Thursday, November 04, 2004

To hell or Connaght!!!

I told Judy I wanted to name the tumor, but I couldn't think of anyone hateful enough to name it after.

"What about Oliver Cromwell?"

Perfect. The affected lymphnodes can be the "Roundheads".

Admittedly, this may only make sense to my Irish friends, but we're going with it - Cromwell and the Roundheads.

Last night was rough. Not much sleep. High fever. Chest pain, and a rash this morning. Turns out the sneaky bastard Cromwell, having been discovered by our advanced intelligence network, is now making a move, and I'm experiencing spasms in my esophagus. Let me tell you, lying half awake with a high fever speculating about the cause of your chest pain is an experience purely to be missed.

The rash was a reaction to yesterday's antibiotic. New one today.

Good News:

  • Dr. Evers' nurse, Susan, saw me first thing this morning and was able to give me some medicine to control the pain.
  • Today's CT scan was the easiest test so far. Hardest part was waiting in the hallway with my fever. Test itself was in and out in 10 minutes.
  • Had a decent nap, too.
  • No more medical appointments until Monday morning.

Still, doesn't look like I'll feel up to going out to the pub tonight, but I remain optimistic about my birthday.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Cromwell sucks. Death to Cromwell!

Jim, you really are so admirable. I really think you're one of the bravest people I know. I can't wait to see you again to give you and Judy a big hug.

I continue to send good vibes and thoughts your way, as well as an occasional rosary decade (figure it couldn't hurt).

Love,
Jenn

4:12 PM  
Blogger Micah said...

Jim--

I just found out about this blog from Pamela. I wanted to wish you good luck, and let you know that we're all thinking of you. I hope this goes as quickly and well as possible.

See you soon!

4:53 PM  
Blogger alsuin said...

Jim

Martin and myself have been thinking and talking about you and the family constantly since we heard the news.
Needless to say they're all storming heaven for you across the pond.
Hope everything goes well tomorrow.

All our love and thoughts,

Le ghra,

Al. xxxxxxxxxx

11:58 PM  
Blogger OwnedByArabians said...

Jimmy,
Thinking of you- We love you Guy and Happy Birthday!
Amy Lintz

1:25 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

An update:

Jim is at St Mary's hospital and is resting comfortably. He went in last night as the Docs were trying to determine the best course of action to deal with a possible infection in one of the cancerous lymph nodes. Possibilities included massive antibiotics to cure the infection; surgery to remove the offending part of the esophagus or some combination in between.

I have just learned that they have determined this was not an infection, rather a blood mass that will respond to the drugs and that Jim will be able to stay his original course of treatment. I do not know how much longer they will keep him at St Marys.

Whew!

We do know the docs responded to this unforeseen turn aggressively. We also know that deviations from an expected plan and course of action are fairly common in this situation.

In other words, Jim is still in a good position to whip this beast.

I believe in Jim. I do I do I do.

Ed

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home