Monday, November 08, 2004

Three steps forward and two steps back is still a net gain of one.

I had this stupid idea yesterday: Maybe if I stopped taking morphine, I'd discover that the hematoma no longer hurt, and was therefore ok!!!

I asked one of the doctors to cut out the regular drip and said I could just punch the button as I needed it. Then, I tried to see how long I could go.

Quite a long time as it turns out, from about 6 pm to about 6 am. The big problem is that the pain kicked back in hard and fast when it did, and I couldn't punch the button fast enough. Also, I didn't sleep much last night.

I think I was trying to prepare to go home - not that any doctor had said anything. I just wanted to, so I was getting ready.

My fever was down last night, but I had a spike of 102 this morning and 103 this afternoon.

Tomorrow, I'll have a CT scan early in the morning. Possibly an endoscopic ultrasound as well. Dr. Evers will be back tomorrow, and is bullish about starting chemo, even if we have to delay the radiation until the infection is more cleared up.

Judy, the kids, Mom, Dad, Dan & Amy came out to celebrate my fortieth birthday. Plenty of hats, dvds, cds, garments. Also a juicer/blender from Mom & Dad. A couple of my law partners stopped by, as did some other friends this afternoon.

People are good.

3 Comments:

Blogger UisceBaGirl said...

Jim,

When I had in-patient surgery, the doctors encouraged me to take as little morphine as I could - just enough to manage the pain - because they said it would make my recovery easier if I weaned myself off of the morphine earlier. So I'm not sure that it was a 'stupid' idea (perhaps ambitiously implemented). It was actually rather brave of you.

My father was a physician all his life but was only hositalized once - when he gave my mom his kidney. I went to pick him up and he said, "Get me out of here - they won't let me rest!" I was surprised that he didn't realize how hard it was to be a patient in a hospital with medical professionals waking you up at all hours, to take your pulse and your temperature and other things that in my opinion could wait until morning.

Thanks for the continuing updates. The blog is a great way to communicate what's going on. I hope that your fever and your pain decrease and that this week is easier for you than expected. You are in our thoughts.

Pamela

6:49 AM  
Blogger nlowry said...

Jim,
Happy 40th. My prayers are with you, Judy, and your family. It sound like Morphine is a good reason to stay in the hospital, but I hope you're home soon!

8:45 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Happy birthday! We've been thinking about you almost every day.

Jenn

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home