Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Hump Day

It's Wednesday, right? It's harder and somehow more important to keep track of these things when you are convalescing.

Convalescing has a nice ring to it, like I've gone to a seaside spa to sip springwater and sit wrapped in blankets on a lounge chair on a beach while inspirational music plays in the background. In the movies, you usually get to fast forward through the convalescence.

I was probably trying to fast forward a little too hard today. This morning was great. I woke feeling well, had a hearty breakfast, bathed (sort of) and dressed. I had to change my pants from a pair that had fit well because even with a belt, there was no way they'd stay on.

Judy drove us in my convertible to pick Callaghan up from school in the morning to take her to an American Youth Harp Ensemble Concert at the Tuckahoe Women's Club. I was feeling good, and wanted to get out for a bit and see the concert.

The concert was great, but I spent too long sitting in a folding chair, and was pretty uncomfortable by the end of the show. Still, I was delighted to be there. I walked a block or two outside the club while waiting for Judy and Callie after, and felt a little better, and proud of my physical walking prowess. I made a concerted effort not to shuffle.

This afternoon another home health care nurse, Jane, came by to watch me go through the IV process on my own. I think I've actually got it down pretty well, and Jane assured me that it would take a lot of bubble to do me any serious harm. I think I can do this on my own, and will fly solo tomorrow.

I took another walk, this time with Mairead, up to the corner of our block and back. Again, I was delighted. Though I didn't really need it, I brought along my Irish blackthorn walking stick, kind of the same way I carry two Darvocet in my pocket with no intention of using them. Mairead asked some indirect questions about the stick, complimented its color. Finally, she said directly, you don't usually need a stick to walk. I told her I didn't need it now, but had it just in case.

Later in the afternoon, Judy took Callie to harp and Mairead to piano. Seamus stayed home with me to get his homework done. Sometime around 5:30 or 6 my lower back, hip and legs started to ache. I have two theories, first, that I just overdid it today with the folding chair and the walking and second, that the forecast "bone pain" from the blood cell boosting medicine has begun. I'm hoping it's the former, but I'm dubious. This feels like bone pain.

Seamus asked me tonight whether we would play music as a family for the Christmas Eve Mass at our church this year. We've done this before and had been planning to do it again this year. I told him we would try to, that we would try to get some help so that the family can play without depending on me to be well enough to play. Seamus cried. It's the damn disappointments and interruptions.

Slight fever tonight for the first time in a while.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tom Nicholson said...

Hey Jim,

I'm tired, just from readong about YOUR day! I know exactly what you mean about those folding chairs-- obviously invented by a sinister-looking guy in a lab coat, or perhaps the guy who was chasing Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark. You know the guy....

Awfully tough to go from a lounge chair to a folding chair-- I'd much rather stay with the former. I loved the picture that developed in my mind as you were describing your convalescing. I was right there with you, except that I had to get up because it was time for my massage.

Jim, I'm happy for your return home, and thankful for the "ruah" (spirit, breath) that is the source of your strength and vitality. I'm also happy for you having more time to spend with your family. It sounds on balance like you had a great day. Have a good night.

Peace,
Tom

10:18 PM  
Blogger Karen Davis said...

Jim - Sorry to hear you had a hard day. Hopefully today will be a little easier. I'm glad that at least your hard day was at home with your kids rather in the hospital. Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Judy and the kids. Cathy Callow asked me to say hi - she's also praying for you. Thanks for keeping us informed on your progress. Karen

8:00 AM  
Blogger vkenny said...

Hi Jimmy, I also had a wonderful image of the spa I think we all need a little break from time to time. I know being home is the best medicine. Ed & I were discussing the aches and pains you described and Ed was nodding in agreement as he has been there a few times. We both know the challanges and limitations you and your family are dealing with and all we can give as advise is do what you think you can but try not to push to hard, it may not be easy but it is reality for now. We will continue to pray and send positive thoughts your way.

3:00 PM  
Blogger UisceBaGirl said...

Jim,

I was right there with you on the image of 'convalescing', envisioning something out a nineteenth-century novel where you are at the seaside with servants bringing out the tea service and everyone speaking lines right out of Jane Austin. "Our dear Mr. Darcy sent you these croquet mallets..."

I'm glad you are home from the hospital and able to spend so much time with your children, even though it would be so hard to answer their tough questions (especially since they are understandably affected about all of this change to their secure family world).

I hope the fever is down and that it really was just soreness from unaccustomed activity levels.

Pamela

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home