Saturday, November 13, 2004

Chemo - Day 4

Mmmm. Spaghetti!

It took me a few hours today to muster the will to try my lunch, but once I did, it was kind of good. At least, it was ok and I could eat it without feeling nauseated.

That's probably a pretty good metaphor for a lot of what I'm going through - the anticipation is worse than the actual event.

Like coming off the morphine. I was terrified. It hurt to think about the morphine going away, but between the darvocet and the apparent improvement in the hematoma, it's not bad at all.

This morning, Judy and I took a walk. We went around the ward to the elevators, then down to the lobby. We walked to the chapel and sat there a while. A couple of volunteers came in and offered us Communion, which we were glad to receive. The Eucharist has become an extremely emotional experience for me these past few weeks.

After the chapel, we walked over to the cafeteria. I had half of a Coke (REAL Coke, not my habitual Diet Coke). We chatted a bit and then returned to the sixth floor.

Lots of visitors this afternoon with wisdom, warm wishes, funny stories, songs, gifts and support. Thanks.

Tonight I get my last two hour dose of cisplatin and my last 24 hour dose of 5FU. Assuming all continues to go well, my temperature stays normal and we have no surprises, I should be able to go home on Monday. I'll need to go by Dr. Evers' office for some medicine to boost my white blood cells. I'll also get visits from a home health care nurse who'll administer some an IV antibiotic. I'll also have an oral antibiotic.

Once I'm done with this round of chemo, I'll have three weeks off to let it percolate and to gear up for the next round. I think I may be able to get radiation during the next round, as well.

I'm curious to know how I'll feel during the 3 weeks off. I know I'd be happiest if I could get back to work for a while. At a minimum, I ought to be able to do some work from home, I hope. I hate not working. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it.

Can't wait to get out of here.

3 Comments:

Blogger Joe J said...

Hi Jim

I know that you will be glad to get home.
Those visiting nurses always seem great, the ones that visited my Viola were terrific.
I wish I could get out more and visit but I don't travel anyplace w/o my constant companion my wee Shih-tzu Mabh. She is my whole life now.
I know you won't approve but I did leave her for a while this morning to attend Caroline County Democratic Committee breakfast meeting.
Take care and keep strong

4:00 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Jim,

I saw that lunch tray. You are a BRAVE man.

Love,
Jenn

1:22 AM  
Blogger Karen Davis said...

Jim - I'm so glad to hear that you may be able to go home Monday and that your treatment seems to be progresing well. I promise not to bring spaghetti when it's my turn for a meal. :) Hang in there! Karen

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home