Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Chemo - Day 1

My fever seems to have backed off, for now at least. And we are concentrating fully on the chemo.

I had some signifcant trepidation about the Traxal, a powerful chemo drug with some rare but lethal side effects. That was my first treatment last night for three hours. It was preceeded, though, by a variety of other drugs to prevent or mitigate the Traxal side effects. Everything seemed to work right, and we got through the Traxal fine. No more Traxal this week.

After the Traxal, I had a couple more hours of hydration, and then two hours of Cisplatin. I also got a wicked case of hiccups. Actually, fairly benign in the scope of adverse drug reactions, though no fun after a while. Medication seems to help this somewhat, though not entirely. I'll get two more hours of Cisplatin each of the next 4 days.

After the Cisplatin, I started on the famously named 5 FU, which will run continuously, except while I'm receiving Cisplatin, for the next 4 days.

To free up the portacath for my chemo, I've acquired an IV in my left arm to afford access for the antibiotics, morphine and other assorted potions and treatments.

Dr. Rowles, my infectious diseseases specialist, is working on a plan to send me home with a once a day intravenous anti-biotic, in case I am otherwise ready to be released at the conclusion of this round of chemo. That is a very happy prospect that I'm almost ready to start pinning my hopes on. But not quite yet. Maybe tomorrow. Or Friday, I'll start to hope for a Monday release.

Back in training today, I took four laps around the oncology ward, pushing my own IV tower, and accompanied only by my mommy and daddy. Tomorrow I hope to receive permission to leave the ward and create a ruckus elsewhere in the hospital. Also, Ed has agreed to restring the guitar in my office and bring it to me hear so I can bellow out some rebel songs.

I am so grateful for the cards, masses, messages, comments, calls, visits, prayers, gifts, friendship and love of so many wonderful people. God bless you all as God has blessed me with you.



Blogger Jenn said...

I'd like to make a request for a rebel song: Black and Tans. It seems fitting.


9:22 PM  
Blogger UisceBaGirl said...

I know the Baheads would show up if you wanted an audience.


9:47 PM  
Blogger Gray said...

Hi Jim. Close your gown please. Hey with all that you have done I know you have happy places to go in your mind when the chips are down. A place I go is that last gig you did with John and I. We rocked. It clicked. I loved it. How about a return performance? We dont allow practice or rehearsing ...non of that. Luv ya my brother. Hang tough. Gray...aka Bassmonster (not the fish)

10:06 PM  
Blogger Tom Wolf said...

I look forward to playing guitar and singing with you whenever you're ready. I'll learn "To Welcome Paddy Home" for the occasion. Glad to hear Day 1 of chemo went well. Bless you, Jimmy Boy. Love, Tom

8:57 AM  
Blogger vkenny said...

Hi Jimmy, 1 treatment down is 1 step closer to your goal. It will be a great day when you can be at home
in comfortable surroundings. Hospitals are no place to be when you are sick you can never get a good nights sleep. The fever breaking is awesome news now just go full steam ahead and dont look back. Ed & I are praying every day and we are sending our most positive thoughts your way. We are looking forward to the news of your release. Love your cousin V

10:11 AM  
Blogger bonnie said...

I leave for a few days of R&R and what happens, my favorite guitar playing, singing Irishman is have a bout with the roundheads. Peter Pan, I don't think so!!

seriously, I have added you to several prayer lists and my family's list. I have also added myself to the meals and task list. If there is anything my family can do for you, please let us know. YOu are in our thoughts and prayers.

Laugh often, it makes the germs mad.


2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home