Saturday, October 30, 2004

Do what needs to be done.

"It's amazing what passes for good news," Judy said, after Dr. Evers told us that the CT scan didn't show any MORE cancer.

So we're dealing with one tumor & two lymph nodes.

Here's the team:

  • Me, the patient. I'm otherwise healthy, relatively young. I'm aggressive and determined, and I know I can endure a lot. One note, I'm not Bolan Collier, I'm Jim Guy. I started out to do this anonymously, but I've changed my mind. No secrets. No sugar coating.
  • Judy, my wife, partner, chief supporter. She is the best.
  • Dr. Joseph Evers, my oncologist. I've got a good feeling that he is the right man for this job.
  • Dr. Kumar was the endoscopy doctor who first found the cancer. His partner Dr. Haverty "staged" it. These guys were very kind to Judy and me.
  • I'll introduce the other doctors as I meet them.
  • Most important, I have a huge support system of family and friends. Lots of people have offered to help, and we're going to impose on all of them.

Here's the plan:

  • Radiation - twice a day for three weeks (excluding the weekends).
  • Chemo - three kinds
  • Surgery - after the radiation and chemo, they'll cut out the cancerous part of my esophagas.
Tonight, I'm optimistic and determined. I've been gearing up. A trip to Target for:
  • Lounging pants (no metal closures) - 2 pair
  • Flannel shirt - 1
  • Magazines - 4
  • DVDs - 2
  • Personal cd player and carrying case - 1 each
  • Book - 1 (George Washington biography)
  • Notebooks - 2 small, 1 large

Then I went to my office. I want to set up as complete a home office as I can so I can maintain as much of my practice as possible. From my office I got a printer, docking station and wireless keyboard and mouse for my laptop, my two favorite volumes of the Virginia Code, my phone list, file list, my blackthorn walking stick and some general supplies.

I'm going to approach this like a major regulatory proceeding, transaction or legislative initiative. And I'm going to win.


3 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Jim,

I know a lot of docs in this area, especially oncologists. Haverty, Kumar and Evans are three of the best.

Jenn

8:43 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Jim, I have the cooler packed and the sleeping bag; we're staying until everybody sees things our way and we get what we want.

Ed

11:28 AM  
Blogger Judy Barker said...

Hi Jim,

I am Judy, Mom and Dad's old friend. Your Mom and I were born on the same day!
You are a smart, creative, inspiring young father and lawyer. You are a winner! and can beat this thing! It is just another of life's tests but you can do it.
Prayers really work and you are in mine. God Bless you in every way and make you well very soon. And I pray for the doctors that may they make the right choices to make you well in a very short time.
Love and prayers,
Judy Corbett Barker

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home